Half a Millennium Serving the Sick

The Brothers of Saint John of God in Perugia (Italy) San Nicolò Hospital (1584)

On Sunday, October 27, the official act of thanks to the Community of the Brothers of Saint John of God took place in the cloisters of Perugia Cathedral, in the Sala del Doctorado, to bid farewell to the Brothers who are leaving Perugia, where they were installed by Brother Pedro Soriano, the first Prior General of the Order, after 429 years of service to the City of Perugia.

 This first part of the commemorations was led movingly and affectionately by the Archbishop of Perugia, Mgr Gualtiero BASETTI and the Mayor of Perugia, Mr Wladimiro BOCALI. Other guests spoke about the presence of the Hospitaller Community in Perugia and thanked the Brothers for the way they had worked and had encouraged other groups and entities with which they had worked, handing on to them the Charism of Hospitality. Prof. Rita CHIACCHELLA of Perugia University also gave a short presentation of the History of the hospital of the St John of God Brothers.

 Speaking on behalf of the Order, the Superior General, Brother Jesús Etayo, and Brother Gerardo D?AURIA, the General Manager of the Rome Province, expressed their thanks for their words of affection and gratitude and hoped that the Hospitality that had been practised there throughout all these years would continue to thrive and grow through the new social and ecclesial facilities placed at the service of the sick and the needy.

 The ceremony culminated with the celebration of Mass in the cathedral, at which the Archbishop, Mgr BASETTI co-presided with the Archbishop Emeritus, Mgr Giuseppe CHIARETTI, and with a short address of thanks by the Superior General to the Perugia diocese, and to the City in particular.

 

| More


St John of God Brothers
St. Mary’s
Drumcar
Dunleer
Co. Louth
Tel: 00353 41 686 2607

© 2012 St John of God Brothers
Web Design: Colum Keating