Meeting with Brothers of the Good Shepherd

On 16-17 March, a meeting was held at the General Curia of the Order in Rome with representatives of the Congregation of the Little Brothers of the Good Shepherd. The meeting was attended by their General Councillors, two Brothers from the Western European Province and an expert from the Congregation for the Religious Life, Sister Mary Wright. The purpose of the meeting was to see whether it was possible to merge the Congregation into our Order.  

 The Congregation of the Little Brothers of the Good Shepherd was founded in 1951 by the former Brother of St John of God, Bro. Matthias Barrett (1900-1990), with the same charism that animated St John of God, focusing on the spirituality of the Good Shepherd of the Gospel. The Congregation today has 27 professed Brothers working in various centres in the United States, Canada, England and Haiti.

 For a long time, the Congregation has been wishing to merge with our Order, because both Institutes share very similar charisms.

 At a meeting of the two General Councillors, and thanks to the contribution of Sister Mary Wright, various issues were clarified regarding the process for merging Religious Institutes according to Canon Law, and we were also able to become mutually acquainted and to appreciate the great devotion to the sick and poor shown by both parties. In a climate of brotherhood and dialogue, the Brothers exchanged their views and the meeting ended to their mutual satisfaction with the decision to pursue the path on which they had now embarked. At the end of the meeting, the Little Brothers of the Good Shepherd visited the Order's centres in Rome and spent time with the Brothers of the Tiber Island and San Pietro Hospital communities.

 On 16-17 March, a meeting was held at the General Curia of the Order in Rome with representatives of the Congregation of the Little Brothers of the Good Shepherd. The meeting was attended by their General Councillors, two Brothers from the Western European Province and an expert from the Congregation for the Religious Life, Sister Mary Wright. The purpose of the meeting was to see whether it was possible to merge the Congregation into our Order.

 The Congregation of the Little Brothers of the Good Shepherd was founded in 1951 by the former Brother of St John of God, Bro. Matthias Barrett (1900-1990), with the same charism that animated St John of God, focusing on the spirituality of the Good Shepherd of the Gospel. The Congregation today has 27 professed Brothers working in various centres in the United States, Canada, England and Haiti.

 For a long time, the Congregation has been wishing to merge with our Order, because both Institutes share very similar charisms.

 At a meeting of the two General Councillors, and thanks to the contribution of Sister Mary Wright, various issues were clarified regarding the process for merging Religious Institutes according to Canon Law, and we were also able to become mutually acquainted and to appreciate the great devotion to the sick and poor shown by both parties. In a climate of brotherhood and dialogue, the Brothers exchanged their views and the meeting ended to their mutual satisfaction with the decision to pursue the path on which they had now embarked. At the end of the meeting, the Little Brothers of the Good Shepherd visited the Order's centres in Rome and spent time with the Brothers of the Tiber Island and San Pietro Hospital communities.

 


 

| More


St John of God Brothers
St. Mary’s
Drumcar
Dunleer
Co. Louth
Tel: 00353 41 686 2607

© 2012 St John of God Brothers
Web Design: Colum Keating