Translation of the Relics of St. John of God

Today, 28 November, the Hospitaller Order of St John of God is celebrating the Memory of the translation of the relics of its Holy Founder. The photo depicts a reliquary kept at the General Curia. Here are a few historical details:

St. John of God died at Granada (Spain) on 8 March 1550. His body was placed in the crypt of the Church of Santa Maria de la Victoria which belonged to the Order of St. Francis di Paola (Minim Friars). After much trouble, the Hospitaller Brothers were able to have the remains of their Founder transferred and laid to rest in the church of their hospital at Granada. This transfer of the Saint’s relics occurred amidst great solemnity on 28 November 1664.

The Prior General, Br. Alonso Pardo Ortega de Jesus had a beautiful church built and dedicated to St. John of God. The Saint’s relics were then placed above the high altar in the room known as the ‘Camarín’. Pope Benedict XV elevated the church of St. John of God to the title of Basilica on 20 December 1916.

 

| More


St John of God Brothers
St. Mary’s
Drumcar
Dunleer
Co. Louth
Tel: 00353 41 686 2607

© 2012 St John of God Brothers
Web Design: Colum Keating